The TRICARE® programs are available to family members of active duty military service members and also to military retirees and their dependents. These dependents include:
• Unmarried children under age 21
• Unmarried children under age 23 who are full-time students
• Stepchildren adopted by the sponsor
Those who are eligible must be listed in the Defense Department's worldwide, computerized database, the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
The following are not eligible for TRICARE benefits:
• Parents and parents-in-law of active duty service members or retirees
• People who are eligible for health benefits under CHAMPVA (Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs)
People age 65 or older who are eligible for Medicare can receive TRICARE For Life (TFL) benefits. For more TFL information, please visit www.TRICARE4u.com.
To learn more about TRICARE plans and programs, see the TRICARE Choices: At a Glance Brochure.
Frequently asked questions about eligibility.